Canada's most asked BBQ Questions
Get the discount directly on the App
Scan the QR code if you are on a desktop OR click the button below if you are on a mobile device.
We’ve put your most asked BBQ questions to our expert chefs
So you can get the answers you need just in time for the long weekend and the start of summer!
The most popular BBQ questions by average monthly search volume
How searches for BBQ questions change during the summer
Of course, one of the main ingredients of a good barbecue is the weather. As BBQs are naturally more popular during the summer, looking at the average number of searches over a 12-month period doesn’t always tell the full story.
Below, you can see how searches for the above questions spike when the sun is out. Searches for ‘How to clean a BBQ’ increase by 184%, while queries like ‘How to cook corn on the BBQ’, ‘How to BBQ Steak' and ‘How to BBQ ribs on grill’ all increase from May onwards.
Average number of searches versus peak number of searches for BBQ questions
Your BB-Qs answered
How to BBQ steak (6,600 searches)
- “Before placing your steaks on the grill, coat each side with oil and season them with salt and pepper from a small bowl. Next, you'll want to let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to a high heat, and cook the steaks for 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, 1.5-2 minutes for rare, and 4 minutes if you like your steak well-done. To finish, allow 5-10 mins cooling time before you eat."
How long to BBQ chicken breast (6,600 searches)
- “The general rule for grilling chicken is to allow extra time if your chicken breast is on the bone.
- The minimum safe temperature to cook chicken breast is 165 degrees, but if you're chicken breast is on the bone, cook on a slightly higher heat. For boneless chicken breast, allow between 6-10 minutes before flipping, and 10-14 minutes if the breast is on-bone. Flip the breast once, and cook for a further 8-10 minutes more.
- Once done, insert a knife into the chicken; if the meat is fully white and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. If not, return the chicken to the grill and cook for longer. Check the internal temperature before serving."
How to cook corn on the BBQ (6,600 searches)"Cooking corn on the cob is super easy on a grill. All you need to do is pre-heat your grill to a high temperature, and cook the corn until it's charred - this usually takes about 10 minutes. Simply serve with butter and salt to finish."
How to BBQ ribs on grill (5,400 searches)
- “We'd recommend grilling baby back ribs if you haven't grilled ribs before, as they are smaller and meatier than other types.
- First, you'll want to remove the silverskin on your ribs and season your meat to add flavour. Next, pre-heat your grill to a medium heat, place your ribs in the middle, and cook them under indirect flames to get a soft, tender rib. Grill each side for 30 minutes, and then move on to a medium, direct heat to cook for another 20-40 minutes.
- You can check if your ribs are cooked once the meat begins to pull away from the bone. To do this, pierce the ribs with a fork and the tines should glide through easily."
How to clean a BBQ (5,400 searches)
- "There are a few hacks we'd recommend to speed up scrubbing your grill, especially if the grime isn't budging. Using steam or vinegar are both effective methods.
- For the steam approach, you'll want to fill a regular, metal tin with water and boil it on your grill. Push the tin to the side (with a mit, don't burn yourself!) and begin scraping with a bristle brush. The steam helps the grime come off with ease.
- Alternatively, placing vinegar in a spray bottle, spraying your grill all over and then scraping off the grime with an aluminum ball of foil, will give you a clean and shiny grill!"
How to BBQ chicken breast (4,400 searches)
- “Before cooking the chicken, we recommend flattening the breast by giving it a few firm whacks with a rolling pin to even out the meat and prevent it from drying out.
- Next, to maximise flavour, marinade the bird with seasoning of your choice. Pop the marinated breast in the fridge for 30 minutes before transferring to the BBQ. Cook the breasts on a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, and use a pair of tongs to flip them over, and cook the other side for the same time.
- Once done, insert a knife into the chicken; if the meat is fully white and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. If not, return the chicken to the grill and cook for longer. Serve with a delicious BBQ sauce!"
How long to BBQ steak (3,600 searches)“As a general rule of thumb, cook each side of the steak for 3 minutes if you prefer your meat medium-rare, 1.5-2 minutes per side for rare, and 4-6 minutes per side if you like your steak well done. Allow 5-10 mins cooling time before you eat."
How to BBQ salmon (2,900 searches)“Place the salmon fillets on the BBQ, skinless side down first, so that the fillets can get grill marks from the grill while the fish is still firm. Close the grill lid and cook the fillet 2-3 minutes on the first side, and then using a pair of tongs and a metal spatula, turn the fillet over so that the skin side is now on the grill grates. Cook the other side for another 2-5 minutes and then serve."
How long to BBQ pork chops (2,000 searches)"Grill the pork chops over direct heat for 8-12 minutes in total, turning once, with the lid closed. Grill until the pork chops are well-marked. For juicy chops, they should be greyish white in the middle and 140°F. Leave the chops for 5 minutes to cool and to allow the juices to set into the meat before cutting, and enjoy!
How long to BBQ chicken thighs (1,900 searches)
- “The cooking technqiue for chicken thighs depends on whether your thighs are on the bone or boneless, as chicken on the bone will need to be grilled on a high heat.
- For thighs on the bone, grill skin-side down on direct heat for 3-5 minutes and then flip to cook the other side for the same time. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- If your thighs are boneless, a medium heat is best. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turn the boneless thighs over and cook for the same time. The internal temperature should also be 165 degrees.